State apartments of the Prince’s Palace The opulent Renaissance palace of the Grimaldi, built on the site of a twelfth-century Genoese fortress, has been the home of that family since 1297. From the frescoed Gallery of Hercules, adorned with figures by Italian late-renaissance masters, the visitor passes through a succession of courtyards and brocaded rooms of state. The tour culminates in the decorative Palatine Chapel and the Throne Room, where ceremonial duties are still performed by the reigning prince HSH Albert II.
The Changing of the Guard takes place in the palace courtyard every day just before noon (admission free)
by car:only vehicles with Monaco licence plates or French licence plates with the last two digits 06 (Alpes Maritimes) may drive into the Old Town (Monaco-Ville) area. All other vehicles are strictly forbidden in Monaco-Ville. Parking : Buses and cars should park in the Parking des Pecheurs.
by bus: Take bus no 1 or 2, alighting at the Place de la Visitation stop (signed Terminus Monaco-Ville). The bus stop is next to the Museum Chapelle de la Visitation. From the Place de la Visitation stop, follow the signposts through the small streets to the Palace, a short five-minute walk.
on foot: Ten minutes’ walk from Place d'Armes up the Rampe Major brings you straight to the Palace Square.